Thursday, January 12, 2012

Room Number One

 I started with Cate's room because I knew it would be the least work.  Remember, it is always easier and faster when you have help, so I asked Darla to come over to work with me.  Thank you Darla!!

  Here it is, in a bit of disarray.  It probably would have helped if I'd taken that little turquoise stand out of there when I replaced it with the basket drawers.  


Beyond a general clean up and purging of unused items, there were a few problem areas I wanted to address.  My goal for Cate's room is for her to be able to keep it tidy easily, and for the rest of the family to see clearly where things go when they help her clean up.

Problem One
Because of some reno issues, I had not bothered to remove Cate's summer clothes from her closet.  As a result, everything was squishy messy.  Removing and storing all the summer things leaves it much more manageable.

Before
After





















Problem Two
I love these pics but they are ALWAYS crooked.  A little pop of sticky tack on the underside of each will (hopefully) keep them in place.

Before
After





















Problem Three
Cate never uses her lamp because it has fallen on the floor on occasion and the light bulb has broken.  I removed it and the table which was really not used, and hung a lamp on the wall instead.

Before
After





















Problem Four
These little hooks often had sweatshirts falling off because they were too full.  I removed most items and now if Cate wants to hang a sweater, it will stay.

Before
Right





















Problem Five
This box was home to a bunch of blankets but they are never touched when they are all folded up in a box.  So for each child's room, I plan to remove all but a sleeping blanket and keep all the extras in a big container in the hallway where they will be easily accessible and available for fort building and such.  I replaced it with one of the only new purchases for the room, a box to hold the dress up clothes.

Before
After





Problem Six
The book shelf always looks like a mess.  Rather than fight it, the books are now all stored in the old blanket basket.  I fully expect that they will end up just getting piled in, but that is okay.

Before

After

Problem Seven
Toys were not getting put back in their spots.  So I cleared out the toy cupboard and dedicated it to baby stuff only.  Babies can just get piled in the bottom - easy - and clothes and bottles and such go in the bin.  The other items fit in where there is space.
Before
After

Problem Eight
Now the other toys needed a home.  Each drawer of the basket shelf has its own category of toy; Barbies, purses, cooking stuff, etc..



Problem Nine
Cate's curtain was really sun bleached.  I shopped the house and found one to replace it with.


After
Before

The shelf got tidied, and ta-da, Pretty Organized!


When I showed Cate her new space, we went over where all her toys are stored.  I will continue to do this until she is in the habit of putting things away properly.  I will also bring my other kids in and show them the new spots so that we can all pitch in to keep this room clean.

1 comment:

  1. I'll come and help ANYTIME. So fabulous to watch you in action. It looks wonderful.

    xoD

    ReplyDelete